Shiny new world? – new Eclipse 4.0 Splash

Susan F. McCourt created a new splash screen for Eclipse 4.0 via Bug report.

I quite happy to see this change, after almost a decade of watching the old one it is refreshing to see something new.

What do you think about this new splash?

This entry was posted in Eclipse and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to Shiny new world? – new Eclipse 4.0 Splash

1. slavus says:

I liked the old one better. It is too white. We are talking here about splash screen of “eclipse” it should be darker.
    But it is nice to some changes.

2. Nirmal Sasidharan says:

Does the image have 32bit colors? Somehow the rendering seems to be incorrect. The background of the tiny eclipse logo placed on the bottom right doesn’t merge well.

However, it appears to be a very neutral splash screen. Not too flashy. I would have liked to see a little more flashy/3d one when I run eclipse on my mbp.

3. Robin says:

You shouldn’t have saved it in GIF format, that’s why the gradient is so ugly.

@Nirmal @Robin: Sorry, my fault. I use now a .jpg

5. Robin says:

How about PNG? The JPEG is still pretty bad.

6. Alex Blewitt says:

The E is practically invisible from a distance. Given that we now have support in SWT for non-opaque windows, why doesn’t the next splash use that instead?

7. Can I integrate this eclipse splash to my current Eclise IDE. I am using Eclipse IDE for JAVA, PHP and Python.

8. Hah… notice “Oracle” in the copyright message now regarding Java ;)?

9. Susan McCourt says:

I committed the splash, but credit goes to graphics designer Linda Watson. Just wanted to give credit where it’s due. As for the “Oracle” text, that may not be right. We’re still getting Eclipse legal review of the actual verbage and the splash is likely to be tweaked. There may be another round of polish by the designer, so keep those suggestions coming (although at this point we are talking tweaks, not redesign….)

@Susan Thanks for the clarification.

11. Mikef says:

I don’t like this Splash-Screen.
    It does not look bad, but it is boring and a bit to bright.
    And i think the Text has a bad positioning.

12. This splash screen is absolutely everything but shiny… :(
    +1 for AlexB suggestion of trying to use a non-opaque shell to come up with something sexier

13. Fabio says:

I don’t like to but…
    if the new eclipse stay clear when your splash…it’s a good idea…
    A simple and intuitive IDE, changing the paradigms.

@Alex I agree the E gets losts. I join Benjamin and also vote +1 for a change.

15. Kai Tödter says:

Sorry, but I don’t like it. I find it pretty boring and too bright. I also don’t like the fonts, especially the copyright section (Do we really need this copyright stuff in the splash? And if we really need it, could we make it low contrast with the background since nobody is really reading it anyway?). The e from eclipse is not readable, etc. etc.

But now I will shut up until i come with a better one, but

+1 for another try