vogella.de has a new logo

I was trying to find a good logo for vogella.de for some time now. I started with some abstract figures but I think this is currently a bit overused as I see this a lot in current webpages.

I wanted to have something which represents the quest for knowledge and high moral values. Also fighting evil things would be a fitting scheme.

I believe a journey is something which represents this very well. Also I thought a wanderer would be a good representation. Also we know the quote that any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.

Great programmers are still called wizards. Like in good old Unix times.

And here we go:

I obviously did not create the artwork myself but the first time in my life I hired a designer. I did though
made the first outline and asked him to change his drafts a few times. So I feel like I had a big influence in greating my own logo.

I really like it, I feel it represents me and my webpage well.

Let me know your opinion.

[Update] New Logo

This entry was posted in vogella. Bookmark the permalink.

21 Responses to vogella.de has a new logo

1. Knut says:

I really like the two in the middle.

The last one would make a great book cover.
    And the first one: ok, even the best designer pratices sometimes. ;-)

2. yansigner says:

Looks real cool :) (Y

3. Lars Heinemann says:

Hi Lars,

really like the artwork. Just wondering how it would have looked like if using the wizard in the circle figure as replacement for the letter O in vogella. Maybe worth a try?

Best regards,
    Lars

4. muhanad says:

the one in the middle looks very nice and you can re-size it as you like and you can use the first figure in it alone too!.
    cool

5. I like the logo at all, but I am not satisfied with the color. For me, this kind of orange in combination with the wizard links to a first impression of a witch at Halloween. I do not know your intention, but the red to orange sky suggests that it is evening, evening leads to the end of the day. I don’t think you are at something you would call near to any end – at least i hope so. On the other hand blue is a colour, used very often in logos so maybe you look vor a colour near the ultra-violet area. Just an idea.

Especially the mono colored logos are great.

Sincerely,

Haiko-Christopher.

6. Joe Sanchez says:

Good choice, It is pretty difficult to find a logo that represents you and it had some meaning behind it. I think you got it!!
    Congrats

7. henrik says:

Like the concept, but I think the wizard looks like a witch (on a broom). You don’t want to be the Wicked Witch of the West I assume :)

Think this is because the body appears too be to small (dwarf/hobbit size), so I interpret it as “sitting witch”.

8. herli menezes says:

I like the two at the middle. The topmost is cool but not the color. I would suggest red or blue (light blue, as sky). I like the forth, but I would change the colors to give the idea of dawn.

9. Holger Ap says:

I like it!
    The wizard in front of the stronghold.
    Yeah, I sometimes really feel like that wizard, when Java-Threads are on the list! :D

10. James Fraser says:

I also like the two in the middle.

The castle image doesn’t really represent a quest/journey — it would make more sense if it was an outward facing plain.

I also agree that the orange/black is reminiscent of Halloween.

11. Mayooresan says:

Yeap dat did seems nice on the screen :)

12. aaa@gmail.com says:

COOL

13. Nicolas says:

Hi, yes I also think that it looks more like a witch nota wizzard.
    Best regards

Thanks to all for your feedback. It seems that nobody likes the color of the favicon. I personally also was surprised to first time when I saw this color selection for the favicon as I imaged more a black mini version of the wizard.

I will definitely change it, the feedback seems clear on this one. :-)

15. EricC says:

I have to agree with others. My first impression was a witch, due to the hat, and the staff looks more like a broom. Change is good, though.

16. stefan222 says:

Love the second image.

17. Ed Korsberg says:

I like the middle one, that is the one with the black artwork on top of a white background

18. Spyros says:

The quest of finding the Light (a.k.a Truth, Love cos Light both warms you and the reveals the truth – scientific or moral). Very nice symbolism. Only comment on the color orange. I seems like setting sun which is a bit not so optimistic…. Finally, I would put the 2 ll in your name “vogella” to be like / \ instead of \ / . I think it would be better like that :)

19. Terry Deglow says:

Good Logo —
    The Witch storms the castle !!

Thanks for your tutorials. I am new to Android and your site. You have lot of examples, yet I do not see how to download the code for one without copying the contents of each folder. Am I missing something.

Thanks again for your comments. I added a knob to the wizards wand, to make him look a little bit more like a wizard. I don’t think it look like a broom anymore.

I still love my new logo! :-)

I’m still thinking about the favicon.