Jan 2012 Challenge of the month – No more Windows

A bit delayed and short, but this month I have the challenge to only use Linux (Ubuntu). I have no MS Windows OS installed anymore, no dual boot or such a thing. I still have a Mac in the house but this machine is not used by me.

Finally only Ubuntu for me! I will be using Ubuntu 11.04 with Unity on my Notebook and my Desktop machine.

A short retroperspective to last months challenge: I think wrapping up (at SAP) worked really well. As far as I know I left in good conditions and without any escalation.

This entry was posted in Challenge of the month. Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to Jan 2012 Challenge of the month – No more Windows

1. EricC says:

Good luck with your challenge! I just added a 8 CPU box into my office running Ubuntu so I can learn a lot of what you and I observed in October. I’m not running Unity as our IT guys installed it with the approved corporate image. Remembering where all those secret files are and the incompatibilities between Sun Java and OpenJDK is maddening. It will get better, though.

I still have my Windows laptop to fall back on when I need sanity. 😉

2. Jan Schoubo says:

Good luck, and welcome in the club. We started the transition two years ago, and the last (of 14 machines :-) ) – the one belonging to my wife – was resurrected with Ubuntu 6 months ago. So far no serious problems. You CAN live without iTunes :-) Don’t hesitate to ask me for tips! – Jan

@Eric Ubuntu runs really well on my laptop. So far I don’t miss it.

@Jan thanks. 14 machines sound a bit to much for one household.

5. Rolland says:

I am in the same process as you. Although I still dual-boot to Windows for my gaming leisure. My first contact with Ubuntu was way back with 7.04. Abandoned it after 6 months of experiment. Returned with 10.10 having it as a virtual machine using a Win7 host. Migrated all my development projects inside the virtual machine. In 11.04, after acquiring a second HDD, I decided to make the transition to full Ubuntu usage except for gaming. Now I am happily using 11.10 with Unity, and I am really satisfied with the way Ubuntu has turned out to be. I think that even if it hasn’t reached full maturity, it’s a solid and very robust OS. Just love it.

Good luck with your transition.

@Rolland: Thanks. I’m not a big gamer anymore and if I do play games I use my Xbox with the Kinect sensor which makes playing much more fun.

7. Thimo says:

Hi,

I’m on Ubuntu for over one year by now. But I have still a dual boot on my notebook, because I have 2 programs which only run on Windows :(

In the near future I’m going to switch to MacOS…

@Thimo: I’m really happy with Ubuntu. I also like that the shortcuts are similar to what I know.

9. franci says:

Welcome to the dark side, this is a road of no return, I’ve been only using GNU/Linux at home for +10 years, when installing it was hard, and using Windows only at work where I can’t decide.

I also had to use Windows at work. As I’m now independent I’m free to use what I like.