vogella.de gets a motto – “Because knowledge feels like magic”

Every company has a motto which should describe its primary purpose. Google has the “Don’t be evil” motto, Nike has “Just do it”, IBM has to my knowledge “Think” as motto and Apples has “Think Different”.

I personally like to acquire and distribute knowledge. Knowledge and certain skills can feel very impressive, I still remember that programming felt a bit like magic to me then I started with it approx. 25 years ago.

The primary purpose of vogella.de is to distribute knowledge and to enable others to do cool things with technology.

After some thinking I therefore decided that the motto of vogella.de should be: “Because knowledge feels like magic“.

Let me know what you think.

This entry was posted in vogella and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to vogella.de gets a motto – “Because knowledge feels like magic”

1. Your motto is much longer than the ones initially mentioned :) .

@Christoph: The length was not the primary factor in determing my motto. :-)

3. Thomas Bertz says:

I feel the word “magic” suggests some working thing but you don’t know how (or why) it works. But your providing knowledge with your site and talks and speeches provide for sth. much better: you present receipes, tutorials i.e. details about how (why) things work. Knowlege only seems like magic if you do NOT know…
    Nevertheless I REALLY like your picking a motto! :)

4. lichtik says:

I think it’s too close to one of Clarke’s 3 laws.

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.

See wikipedia at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Any_sufficiently_advanced_technology_is_indistinguishable_from_magic

@lichtik I’m aware of this quote, but I believe knowledge and technology are different things. Also I think that feeling is more related to the person which has the knowledge while indistinguishable indicates that an observer is meant.

@Thomas: I read once that Magic is the art of knowing the right words to make things happen. I think that fits well.

7. jtl says:

Thank you for the content you provided. Your motto is very impressive! Personally I applaud freedom to customize one’s own happiness. Knowledge is an efficient way that leads people to freedom, though not guarantee toward happiness, but still a precious possibility.

8. Anthony says:

I’m not a fan of motto’s starting with “… because”. It assumes a context that does not exist.

Something like “The magic of sharing knowledge”.

You say the length of the motto is not a factor for you, but I think a more concise motto reads better…

Great tutorials though… invaluable for learning about all things RCP.

@Anthony: the context is “vogella”. 😉