Thanks to amazing contributon from Tony McCrary from http://www.l33tlabs.com/ we could replace the usage of .gif icons in org.eclipse.ui and org.eclipse.ui.workbench with png.

The advantages of the png files is that they support transparency and therefore also look good on a dark theme (background).

Also Tony redesigned the Eclipse Save icons that they young developer which never saw a floppy disk, can related. The save icon looks now a bit like a SD card.

New icons:

Selection_002

Old icons:

Selection_003

Tony provided more icons, e.g. for JDT, Ant JFace, etc. I hope that I can also replace more icons in the platform, especially the gif files used by JDT look very ugly on a dark background.

Thanks again to Tony for this great contribution.

This entry was posted in Eclipse, Lars Vogel and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to Eclipse org.eclipse.ui switches to png files and waves good bye to the floppy disk

1. RemyG says:

Hi, the new PNG icons are nice for the transparent background, but I don’t see how the Save icon looks like an SD card… For me it’s still exactly a floppy disk…

2. Sopot Cela says:

@RemyG where have you seen a floppy disk with vertical data buses towards the bottom?

3. Robert D says:

Nice looking floppy. I know a floppy when i see one.

4. Tony McCrary says:

@RemyG It keeps some of the floppy’s vibe so it doesn’t cause mass confusion (i.e. people think the save button is missing, etc).

I played with a radically different icon but everyone agreed it didn’t click as “Save” like something more floppyesque:

So it’s kind of a compromise.

5. Tony McCrary says:

Sorry that last comment should have been Tony McCrary and not RemyG. Sorry RemyG :)

I need some coffee.

6. Hendy Irawan says:

Awesome work, Tony!

We should also be considering to move towards vector formats like SVG, or at least multi-dpi icons. Considering displays are getting super hi-res this year (3200×1800 for 11-13″ displays and will be much more for > 22″ monitors), UI pains are getting more pronounced.

See http://www.hanselman.com/blog/LivingAHighDPIDesktopLifestyleCanBePainful.aspx

7. Yauheni Ivanou says:

Can anybody explain me how to use it icons ?

8. Tony McCrary says:

@Hendy The artwork was all done as SVG, the PNGs are rendered with a maven utility. The SVG set is also available here: https://code.google.com/p/eclipse-svg-icons/

@Lars thanks!

9. Velganesh Subramanian says:

Through which build can we see the icons? I switched back to lighter themes because of white spots around the icons. It would also be great if Eclipse has an inbuilt darker theme. Shall I raise a bugzilla?

Velganesh, I use a custom build but the upcoming Eclipse 4.4 M5 contains them. We have a bug report for a darker theme already and I plan to upload soon.

11. sukhotskiy says:

Most Eclipse users, who use it for work, do not have time for play with themes and love a standard theme, please care about us too. Many of us forgot years ago about floppy, but it is well known and legacy symbol – please do not touch it! Just forget about what it was earlier.

@sukhotskiy, the icon is very close to the old floppy disk, see the comments in this blog, there people say it still looks like a floppy disk. I think you will survice the change. 😉

13. Rob. S. says:

I’d humbly like to note that noone actually saves their documents or source code files to SD cards and probably noone ever will, so the SD card symbol is, I fear, not really a good symbol. The floppy disk, on the other hand, has long since become a universal abstraction of the save operation, even though many people never have seen a real floppy disk, and therefore stays better symbol. As long as noone doesn’t come up with a new symbol that is up-to-date without being misleading, a symbol that really has a good chance to universally supplant the floppy disk on most platforms for most applications, my preference would clearly be to stay with the old one for the time being.