Dark Eclipse ships with Eclipse Luna

We (the Eclipse platform team) added a dark theme contributed by Andrea Guarinoni to Eclipse Luna M6. Lots of people were asking for a default dark theme. Of course SWT CSS styling has some limitation but were are planning to work on these. Having a default dark theme will help us doing so, as more people will start using it and might contribute to it via bug reports or patches.

Here is the Eclipse IDE using the dark theme under Linux.

contacts

And here is an RCP demo application called contacts which imports and extends the dark theme.

contacts

As you may noticed some of the icons are still looking ugly. We received another contribution from Tony McCrary from l33tlabs.com with a new set of icons for the platform and we are in the process of integrating them. For the platform ui icons, e.g., save and the like, we should be done already and I created Gerrit reviews for other platform components, like JDT, Debug and PDE and hope they pick them up soon.

If you want to test the new theme, go to http://download.eclipse.org/eclipse/downloads/ and download the M6 milestone. We are already working on some improvements for M7.

Lars Vogel is the founder and CEO of the vogella GmbH and works as Eclipse and Android consultant, trainer and book author. He is a regular speaker at international conferences, With more than one million visitors per month his website vogella.com is one of the central sources for Eclipse and Android programming information.
This entry was posted in Eclipse, Lars Vogel and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

17 Responses to Dark Eclipse ships with Eclipse Luna

1. Veit says:

Nice! I wait for such a build-in theme for years.

2. Mark Phippard says:

I guess I should download the Milestone to check this out, but quick question. In the past when you applied external themes like this it did not work in any of the “forms-based” editors like the one for a plugin.xml. I see the Git Staging view looks themed, so I assume this problem has been solved?

3. metooo says:

Hi,

What’s changed except the splash screen (which is nice though) and the dark theme ? :)
    I would like so that eclipse would have an UI most modern like splash screen.

metooo

Mark, we are working on it. M7 should be even better with forms.

5. Velganesh Subramanian says:

I tried on Win7 and am disappointed. Is it possible for a better LnF in M7 for Windows too?

6. Mantas says:

It would be great if we could zoom all text in any window at once

7. hwacookie says:

… but … but … this is NOT going to be the standard theme, is it?
    I mean, right after installing a fresh eclipse, will it open up like THAT???

@hwacookie, no it is not the new default.

9. Markus says:

Beside the theme – do you know if this release is also optimize for high resolution displays?

Best,
    Markus

Markus, only if someone works on it. ;-)

11. Dave Burke says:

I was concerned with @hwacookie that this was going to be the default theme, since I’m definitely in the light theme camp. The dark theme is going to be a great option and I know a lot of guys will love it! Looking forward to Luna. Thanks.

12. Peter says:

How long does it take to startup Eclipse?

13. Philip Langs says:

Great news! However, you can also download the same dark theme (MoonriseUI) from marketplace or github, I’ve been using it already from a year, it also supports Juno and Kepler and it looks better than the version embeded in Luna M6.
    Have you made some changes that break the theme when importing to Luna default themes?

@Philip, try M7 should look the same as Moonrise

15. Shiv says:

Tried the dark theme on Win7 64bit .. great start !
    Still long way to go .. as fonts doesn’t change (remains black) and can’t see a thing.

Kudos to the team involved ..Looking forward to the future releases.

16. Mantas says:

Have you tried to install Android ADT plugin?
    It installs from “old” Eclipse’s installation, but if your are trying to update (when update is really available) it finds nothing…

For now I prefer Eclipse for Android development rather than Android studio.